Neighborhood Projects: Our Lady of Mount Carmel (2019)
The Gunpowder Valley Conservancy's Clear Creeks Project is excited to announce its Bay-Wise Project at Our Lady of Mount Carmel School and Parish. Our Lady of Mount Carmel (OLMC) is situated on 8.5 acres in Essex. Last year, OLMC students helped reduce stormwater runoff by planting a rain garden on their campus. Their efforts will be further augmented this year with the installation of several more Bay-Wise landscaping practices:
- 3 microbioretention practices
- 1 rain garden
- 1 Bayscape garden
- 4 rain barrels
- 10 large native trees
The project will also benefit from partnerships with Interfaith Partners for the Chesapeake and the University of Maryland Master Gardeners of Baltimore County. Funding for the project comes primarily from the Chesapeake Bay Trust.
OLMC Bay-Wise Calendar of Events
These events are designed primarily for OLMC students and parishioners, unless otherwise noted.
- Saturday April 13 (3 - 5 pm): Defending Creation kick-off event - Not open to the public
- Tuesday April 30 (12 - 1:30 pm): Native Tree Planting as part of OLMC Day of Service - Not open to the public
- Wednesday May 8 (9 am - 11 am): Bayscape workshop - Not open to the public
- Saturday May 25 (10 am - 12 pm): Rain Barrel workshop - Open to the public
- Saturday June 1 (10 am - 1 pm) Rain Garden workshop - Open to the public
- Saturday June 15 (10 am - 12 pm) Water and Garden Keepers workshop - Not open to the public
The Clear Creeks Project is made possible through funding from National Fish and Wildlife Foundation; Chesapeake Bay Trust; Baltimore County Department of Environmental Protection and Sustainability; Baltimore Gas and Electric; Gunpowder Valley Conservancy; and Chesapeake and Atlantic Coastal Bays Trust Fund, administered by Maryland Department of Natural Resources.