Install a Rain Barrel
A rain barrel captures water from your roof and downspout and stores it for later use. The water can be used to water your lawn or garden, plants and even for washing your car. In a typical summer season, a rain barrel will save the average homeowner 1,300 gallons of tap water normally used for outdoor watering needs.
Over one million gallons of water have been conserved through the Gunpowder Valley Conservancy’s rain barrel program!
Rain Barrel Benefits
- Reduces water bills
- Captures rain to water your garden
- Reduces stormwater runoff, pollution and prevents erosion
- Lessens the demand for energy-intensive, chlorinated tap water
- Recharges ground water naturallyl
Build Your Own Rain Barrel
Attend a FREE Gunpowder Valley Conservancy rain barrel workshop to learn how to build and install your own rain barrel. Gunpowder Valley Conservancy provides you with supplies and can guide you through the installation process. Thank you to McCormick and Company, Inc. for donating food containers to be repurposed into rain barrels for these workshops.
Register online for our next rain barrel workshop.
Download our Rain Barrel brochure for more information
- Each rain barrel costs $60 (includes assembly kit).
- Gunpowder Valley Conservancy members are eligible for a discounted rate of $50/barrel. Become a member today!
"A rain barrel is a simple way to help the Bay."
~ Rita Kurek, at a Gunpowder Valley Conservancy rain barrel workshop she hosted for her neighbors
"The barrel itself is simple and well designed so it is very easy to use and effective at collection. Both barrels have solved issues with drainage."
~ Janet Shamaugh, who installed two rain barrels at her home